Many small-scale to large-sized businesses and enterprises adopted the VPN architecture to support remote employees and enable a remote working environment.
However, with the growing need for secure and increasing remote network access support requirements, the VPN infrastructure fails to meet the needs of modern enterprises, mainly because of poor VPN scalability.
VPNs are highly difficult to scale for multiple reasons, and this lack of scalability affects businesses and enterprises in several ways, including performance degradation and added security risks.
In this article, we’ll see the adverse effects of poor VPN scalability and the best alternative for VPN for your company.
What Are The Effects Of Poor VPN Scalability For Your Company?
The traditional VPN security setup is built for privacy and not robust network security.
VPNs lack built-in network access controls and the ability to monitor and inspect network traffic to detect malicious users. Moreover, they aren’t optimised for cloud and large-scale remote work environment and delivers several performance bottlenecks.
Thus, your company network infrastructure, VPN solutions, and perimeter-based security stacks are nothing more than potential threats to VPN-based remote access services. As a result, to scale the VPN infrastructure, companies need to invest in a lot of areas, including:
- Deployment of additional VPN infrastructure to support more parallel connections
- Security systems for security policy and inspection enforcement of the backhauled traffic
- System redundancy to support the increasingly remote workforce needs and requirements
However, deploying and maintaining this additional VPN infrastructure is no joke.
Here’s how VPN scalability can further affect your company:
- Performance degradation: The lack of built-in functionality and alternative of VPN results in sending traffic through a single standalone security stack. This requires companies to backhaul network traffic through corporate LANs and DCs, impeding network connectivity, degrading performance, and increasing latency issues.
- Management complexity: Companies must deploy multiple applications and appliances with poor VPN scalability and high remote workforce needs. This additional deployment adds management complexity and operational expenditure of maintaining, configuring and deploying appliances.
- Latency and security workarounds: Poor VPN scalability forces organisations to trade off network security and performance, including traffic backhauling to the corporate network for inspection, resulting in latency.
- Increased attack surface: VPN’s excessive implicit trust allows entry to all users, increasing the attack surface and making it easier for attackers to exploit the network for malicious purposes. Moreover, it also exposes IPs to external networks and the internet, increasing the risks of breaches and malicious attacks.
So, what’s the best alternative of VPN to prevent these risks and ensure seamless network scalability?
Zero Trust: The Best VPN Alternative For Your Company
If you want to replace your traditional VPN solution with a secure remote access solution, you must employ the Zero Trust Security framework, which is the best VPN alternative.
Unlike VPNs, the Zero Trust model follows the approach of ‘’Never Trust, Always Verify,’’ removing excessive trust and only granting authorised and verified users access to the company network.
Hence, they prevent lateral movement and enable scalability, allowing you to extend security to cloud assets and remote environments.
Moreover, unlike VPNs, they enable secure and easy single-click access to applications hosted anywhere without backhauling and latency risks.
Thus, they remove the redundant VPN security stacks and complex management, enabling simplicity, seamless scalability, high security, and a quality user experience.
Traditional VPN setups are difficult to scale and maintain and come with several drawbacks, including the inability to monitor traffic, create custom security policies, and achieve quality performance.
So, if you’re looking for alternatives to the VPN technology for your company, check out InstaSafe’s products and their VPN alternatives to leverage easy VPN deployment and scalability for maximum performance and security at a cost-effective price.